Back in the '80's we used to leave the bar at College Station late and ride to Enchanted Rock to watch the sunrise, was like negotiating a minefield all them Hill Country whitetails. Getting up E. Rock in the pitch dark weren't hard, all you had to do was walk uphill, can't miss the top.

After that we would ride into F. Burg for breakfast, and then go park our bikes amid the crowd of parked motorcycles at Luckenbach, admire them for awhile and then fall asleep in the shade. Luckenbach back then was about the best place on the planet to drink a beer on a Sunday afternoon. Agree 100% back then about the musical talent sitting out back.

One time I brung along pretty young coed from A&M and she just couldn't get over how NICE all them crusty ol' bikers treated her at Luckenbach, buying her drinks at the bar and everything. On the way back she threw up inside my borrowed helmet and passed out on a twisty backroad when we were doing about 80 grin She had her arms wrapped tight around my waist at the time and I pinned 'em against my body with the arm that weren't working the throttle. Musta been my guardian angel tho that kept her feet on the pegs until I got us off the road and stopped.

Oh Lord those were the days grin My own Luckenbach period was about '87-'92, got so I could ride there blindfolded, perhaps we might have crossed paths.

Nowadays Luckenbach is mostly buried in upscale SUV's and lesbian weddings. I will say Saturday night last night was a pleasant surprise. Only about fifty or sixty people and a good country band playing in the dance hall, shutters open so you could hear 'em outside. The food kiosk/hut whatever STILL doesn't gouge on prices, a pretty good pulled pork or barbeque sandwich for only $6.95.

Quite a few non-Lesbian looking women showing up too. We rolled out early, something about him having to be back on base, but when I get back on two wheels again, Luckenbach might just become a reg'lar stop.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744