I'm not a bench rest shooter.
I'm also not near as anal as I once was when it comes to accuracy.

My barrel break in proceedure.

I add squirt or two of Kroil to a jar of JB Bore Paste. I use a bore guide. I liberally cover/saturate a bronze bore brush with the JB/Kroil paste. I put 50 strokes or 25 cycles minimum, though the barrel. If I decide to do more, I change out the bore brush and do an another 50.

Then I clean to bare metal.

I go and shoot. It usually takes 8 to 10 rounds to foul the barrel in. I'll usually shoot at least 20 rounds or so.

Most times that is my barrel break in and I do not clean for another 75 rounds or so. I'm not shooting moly or black powder and my rifles are stored in an atmospherically controlled low humidity environment.

If I'm feeling energetic, I might do the JB/Kroil bore brush thing once more after the first range session. These days I'm not doing much load development as over the last 25 year or so, I've developed pet loads.

I always foul in the barrel after cleaning, before hunting the rifle.

Anywho,. Does this routine break in the barrel. Don't know, don't really care. I've owned and shot a lot of rifles and it works for me.

Merkel K3 Extrem, 270 Winchester

[Linked Image]

Doing the JB Bore Paste/Kroil thingy!

[Linked Image]

Shots 1 & 2 @ 25 yds to get on paper. Factory 150 grainers.

[Linked Image]

shots 3-5 @ 100 yds., for zero. Factory 150 grainers

[Linked Image]

Shots 6-8 @ 100 for zero. Getting serious. Using my "go to load" for the 270 Win., 130 gr. Accubond handloads

[Linked Image]

Shots 9-11, @ 100, and where I called it good. 130 gr. Accubond handloads

[Linked Image]

After this, its first shot out of a cold barrel to check for zero.

YMMV

ya!

GW

Last edited by geedubya; 02/09/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.