Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by BangPop
I I've had only one premium quality barrel that never broke in and continued to foul and never quit.
It was a Hart that in my view was too smooth..

Lija also claims barrels can be too smooth ,contributing to increased fouling...but I cannot get my head around that theory.

The smoother something is, typically the less friction you will encounter when it comes to metals - and if removing machining marks
reduces fouling, then would not also reducing a more aggressive lapped surface to create a smoother surface with better [lower]
co-efficient of friction be even better for reducing fouling?

Finer /less aggressive surface finish would create smaller micro troughs where contaminants can lay up.

Some might claim a smoother surface increases contact area between bullet and barrel, but that may not necessarily
be the case, you might just end up with a larger number of shallower micro peaks/troughs rather than a lower number
of more aggressive micro peaks/troughs. without changing the actual contact area by much.

same goes with barrels with differing number of lands-grooves,..ie; more or less may not alter actual contact area
between bullet and barrel...because one can compensate by altering the widths so that contact area remains consistent.

I'm about to find out if a more aggressive lapped finish will solve that barrels fouling issues. I lapped it with 180 aluminum oxide at the advise of a gentleman who lapps barrels nearly every day. I'm going to shoot it and see if it breaks in or not. Should be interesting.