Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
If you need speed or volume, buy a progressive.

I use a progressive 650 for almost everything and even my 6 PPC will shoot as good as I can when loaded like that. More time is wasted on individual nuances of loading than they are worth...

If you showed up at a benchrest match with your 6 PPC and your progressive 650, I guarantee you would be the only one there with that set-up !!!!!!!
I would bet my last dollar you would be on the bottom half of the leader board at any NBRSA or IBS match, close to last if you went pre-loaded !!!!!
Some things are worth the "individual nuances"

I never said anything about a match. I bet you wouldn’t be competitive at one of those matches no matter what you did to load your ammunition and you wouldn’t outshoot me on a prairie dog field either...

I was trying to make the point that some advanced reloading techniques cant be done on a progressive that absolutely matter on some cartridges. I would never load pistol ammo on anything but a progressive, AR ammo etc. but when you say 6 PPC on your progressive is "as good", I don't buy it and apparently I hurt your feelers by stating the truth....sure sorry about that.

You can’t hurt my feelings by not paying attention to what is said.

I load my 6mm PPC to a standard that you can achieve with a progressive reloader because it is accurate enough for what I use it for, which is not bench rest competition. Cleaning primer pockets, flash holes, hand priming cases, annealing and other reloading techniques are usually wasted time for the vast majority of shooters.

Many do use those steps in their reloading regimen, but any benefit is negligible unless you are preparing ammunition for some competitive use, and progressive loaders were never made or sold to produce that kind of ammunition.

Be careful who you want to criticize or correct when your reading/comprehension inhibits your understanding of what is being said. A 6mm PPC isn’t always shot in competition, yet it can still exhibit more than acceptable accuracy by basic reloading practices. A 6mm PPC isn’t the only rifle that can perform that way, it is just an example of how good progressive reloaders can produce ammunition that will give more than acceptable results without all the steps that many think are necessary to get those results...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]