Jerry, I've been eyeballing a '12 f150 supercrew 4x4 with the 5.0. Beautiful trucks. How do you like that new 5.0 motor?

I'm loving it.It has plenty of power and fuel mileage is about as good as can be expected. I CAN get 20 mpg hwy with a 4X4 Supercrew on the hwy if I keep the speed under 70. But most of the time it is just under 19 for me. I drove it from GA to Colorado to hunt 3rd season and got 18.8 on the way out. For unknown reasons was 17.9 on the way back. I drove 70-75 most of the way. I wasn't loaded heavy, but had a moderate load of camping/hunting gear including a generator and my wife. It had no trouble getting up mountain passes as high as 11,000'. Both 5th and 6th gears are OD on these trucks. I just locked out both and drove up the passes in 4th at 2000-2200 rpm and was able to maintain the speed limit.

I bought it used 3 years ago in May. I was on the fence about the 3.5 turbo, but after driving both settled on the 5.0. I was able to drive a 2014 with 17,000 miles on it off the lot for exactly the same money as an otherwise identical 2013 with the 3.5 and 27,000 miles on it. The 3.5 is a good engine that puts out a lot of torque at low rpm, but I just didn't need it. Or the extra maintenance required.

If you look at used Fords pay very close attention to the axle ratio and payload stickers on the drivers door. Ford is all over the place. Gear ratios range from 3.15 to 3.73. Payload is typically around 1600-1800 lbs for the crew cabs. But there are some out there with payloads as low as 1100 lbs. With either engine you could get a truck terribly under powered and unable to tow much. Mine has 3.55 gears and payload just under 1700 lbs. I'm rated to tow 7700 lbs,which is more than I'll ever tow.

Names not Jerry BTW. JMR are my initials, I go by my middle name, Marshall.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.