Thanks woodmaster. I do have experience camping in the winter but you make a good point about the wind. I camped in Kansas in September once and the wind was intense. I was just using a bivi sack so I didn’t have to deal with stakes. Below freezing, that would have been uncomfortable. I have a couple wall tents with wood stoves but they are big and flat sided and would catch a lot of wind. I think you convinced me to use motels. It would also give me more flexibility since once I set up a wall tent, I don’t like to take it down until I’m done. I guess I could splurge on a 4 season (wind resistant) tent but I don’t think I would use it enough to get enough value out of it. I have a Snowtrekker tent that I use snow camping in the Northeast.

I’ll have to find a pet friendly motel. I guess they exist out there.

I would love to hunt the early season but my schedule will not allow it. As a result, staying farther south might make things more comfortable. Iowa would be the shortest drive. Southern Kansas is a good suggestion. Other than occassional stocked pheasant, I mostly hunt ruffed grouse. Pheasant and quail are a mystery to me. Any idea if public lands in Kansas or Iowa would produce action? I should focus on grasslands, right?

Thanks for the help!