I spent 3 years living in a tent in northern WI and ran traplines out of a tent in northern MN. If you have decent tent and a source of heat winter is no big deal camping. A lot of state campgrounds stay open all winter and have electric and usually one heated shower house. Our Coyote camp in north central WA was always in a tent in Jan. I used to take an explorer scout troop out winter camping. And our northern MN deer camp was in a tent. We had a toboggan set up with a pushing handle and pulling harness and we'd load it with camping gear and snowshoe into northern MN remote lakes to camp and Ice fish.

If you want to camp and have some experience at winter camping, go for it. A tent with a fly that goes all the way to the ground helps and we would lay a polar fleece blanket over the top of the tent to close off the ceiling vents, the blanket was between the roof top and the fly. If we were in a campground a couple electric quarts 1500 watt heaters kept the place decent(propane buddy heaters put out a lot of moisture and frost inside the tent is a problem with them. a vented (chimney propane heater works well our large deer hunting tent had a propane space heater and we had a 100 lb propane bottle and I've stayed in tents with fuel oil space heaters.

We used to camp in Eastern and central MT for pheasants and sharptails and around Winner SD for pheasants. On public access sights don't expect the numbers you see in SD hunting video, as most of those are on private land groomed for pheasants. Actually late season public land can get fairly decent as the masses have headed home, crops are down and the birds are starting to use the cover on public lands more.

Last edited by erich; 02/19/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders