Originally Posted by DarlaG
Dirtfarmer,

You are 100% CORRECT. = The USA has MANY unsung & "forgotten" heroes. Many real heroes' service is UNKNOWN even to their nearest kinfolk.

Btw, both Darla's & my father served in combat but nether of know much about their war service.

Mr Costello was a CPL in the Korean War with the 187th ABN Brigade.
(Darla knows little of his service as a paratrooper, as both of her parents were killed in a traffic accident near Portland, OR, when she was just 3 years old. - She was raised by her widowed grandmother.)

My dad served from 08DEC41-30SEP45 in B17/B29 bombers with the USAAC, in both the European & Pacific Theaters.
(He died of a massive heart attack when I was in high school & seldom would talk about his WWII service with the USAAC, even when I tried to ask him about it.)

yours, tex

Yep and not just snipers. My 92 yr old FIL was a sailor on the Belleau Wood, a Cruiser converted aircraft carrier hit by a Kamikaze during the Pacific War. They saved the ship, went on fighting, ultimately ending up in Japan after the surrender. Those guys are dying off, not that many left. FIL used to attend Belleau Wood reunions. Now, not enough left to have a reunion. Their reunion is more and more on the other side. They were tough.

After the war, the French ended up with the ship. In the ‘50’s it was decommissioned, sunk to become a home for the fishes. And life moves on.

DF