Correction: The "Palma" matches are a specific set of matches shot at 800, 900 and 1000 yards with iron sighted rifles shot from an unsupported prone position (sling). There are also very specific cartridge requirements. For "The Palma" which is contended internationally every four years between countries, competitors must shoot the 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO with a bullet no heavier than 156gr. NRA Palma (for US Shooters) also allow a 223 and the 308's can shoot bullets heavier than 156gr.

The rifle as described would more accurately be called a Prone Rifle. The experience from the old days is that it takes ~2700fps muzzle on a 168 Sierra to cross 1K supersonic.

BTW, wasn't there some efforts decades ago to shoot a 30-30 based cartridge in Bench Rest? I remember reading the article where they even had Federal produce higher quality, small primered brass headstamped "30 American" to form their cartridges. I've heard that Dave Tooley is the repository for information on that historical effort.

Nez was never bound by convention. After accomplishing all he wanted with the AR in Service Rifle competition, he went hard at doing it all over again with a retro M14 (actually an M14 with the modern technology applied to it). I am not surprised he is doing this. Best wishes to him.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/04/19.