I find the ratio about 2 to 1 round barrel 29-A's to octagon. Of the ones I have recorded I have 14 octagon and 29 round. The serial numbers suggest a change in the mid 30,000's and the highest number I have seen is just over 60,000 - so, by the numbers it suggest the ratio should be more like 1 to 1, but house branded versions were included in this and the majority of them fall in with the first 35,000, so it might be that a large percentage of the early production was house brands, maybe close to half, I have recorded data on more 29-A actioned house brands (28) than 29'A's with octagon barrels.

ADDED after initial post - most of the house brands fall under 35,000 and there were some Savage 29-A's made after the move to Chicoppe Falls that were not serial numbered, so the highest known serial number is not an indication of the total production. Almost all 29-A's had checkered wood and all with checkered wood had a Utica address barrel stamp, even the ones without serial numbers. Just a few of the very last 29-A's were not checkered and had a grooved forearm.

I would like to see more pictures, especially a good one of the other side of the receiver and one of the muzzle.

Last edited by GeneB; 03/16/19. Reason: added an after though