I prefer males, in part due to their typically larger size and strength. I keep mostly English Setters now but have usually had one of the versatile breeds too. The larger size, particularly height, better allows the dog to carry large birds like geese as well as better move through cover like snowed in cattails. As an aside, the greater strength of males makes them better partners in skijoring.

Another reason I prefer malesis they do not go into heat at in opportune times such as just before a trial/test or hunt. I am not enthralled with raising pups either, I prefer having the stud dog and pick my pup from a litter if I decide to do so. Or, take the stud fee to offset costs. With a good stud one can do at least as well as with a litter.

Of the dog fights I've seen, the absolute worse have been between females. When they go at it, they do a number on each other. I have had only one male that got into fights and that was the last wirehair I had and its aggression was directed at my older setter. The wirehair developed this aggression after the two dogs lived together for 7 years. I suspect a medical problem with the wirehair had some affect as its spine had been fusing for years. Prior to that, I had as many as 6 intact males in the house without problems. I made sure they knew I was the boss and that aggression was not tolerated. I've had other dogs act up toward my dogs but they have minded their P's and Q's with others.

As mentioned, male or female is a personal decision and there is no clear choice. Pick the pup you like from proven bloodlines and you will have done all you can do.