I started deer hunting with a fiberglass longbow and a percussion half stock. I remember my Bear dealers surprise when Bear brought out a compound. I stayed with that cap gun until I got a rifled shotgun. Still use it for ml season. Six years ago i had fusion surgery, developed a spine infection and lost 90% of the strength in my legs, any flexibility in my back and a lot of arm strength. Lots of therapy brought me up to 50# pull on a compound which I now use. I bought a x bow and sometimes take it out during gun season.
Fourteen years ago I bought some land so we and our kids and grandkids would always have a place to hunt. Couple of nephews hunt there, too. Rules are simple. If you are disabled, you can use a crossbow. Otherwise, if it is legal, it is o.k.
We take five to eight fair chase deer a year.
Neighbors seem to have gone largely to in line muzzle loaders and crossbows but we don't. I used to really look down on the new stuff but now I figure that unless there is over killing we need to grow the sport. My family is helping. From a generation with two hunters, my family now has one senior, four next gen, and two grandkids in it so far.