Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 340boy

Got it.
I had a few years back a G20 SF that I retrofitted with Meprolite adjustable tritium sights and a 6" KKM barrel. I liked that rig! I got rid of it years ago but kept the KKM barrel. I wonder if it would work in the G40? 😎

With 6" barrel, I'd think it would.

DF

Caution -
It'll physically fit, but if it was a G20sf barrel it probably has the gen 3 guide rod cut, which is smaller than what the G40 needs. The difference is just a radius cut in front of the locking lugs and is the spot where the guide rod sits; the head of gen 4 guide rods is bigger than the gen 3 guide rods.

Because of that, gen 4 barrels are reverse compatible with gen 3 guns, but not the other way around. You can cause some problems using that gen 3 barrel in a gen 4.

However, if you're pretty handy with tools or know a local friendly machinist, enlarging that radius is possible.

Yondering,
Good info there, I probably ought to check with KKM before I try the swap. I love the barrel, it turned that G20 of mine into a hunting machine. I was very impressed with the accuracy-from slow factory 'target' loads all the way to hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff.

Just had a thought. Why don't you contact KKM and see if they would alter your Gen 3 barrel to work with a Gen 4 gun.

DF