Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a good supply of 180 gr. .401", 38-40 bullets from my CAS days. I'd say they were pretty soft. I'm hoping they'll work well thru the 7" KKM barrel for my Glock 40.

Those shoot great in my 1910 vintage 38-40 Win '92. It has a shiney bore with a few pits. It actually out shot a new Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt, pretty amazing for a nearly 110 yr old rifle.

DF.

I would not expect much from those bullets in a 10mm or a 40 S&W. "Pretty soft" is not a good thing in higher pressure pistol cartridges like this unless you're really loading them down weak. The alloy needs to be matched to the cartridge pressure to some extent; very soft bullets are common in CAS shooting because of the very low pressure loads many use, but that's a whole different thing than the 10mm. A different bullet choice will save you some frustration.

In case it wasn't clear earlier - those very soft bullets like that are the problem in Glock barrels and the reason for the persistent rumor, but they don't usually work too well in other barrels either at high pressures.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/15/19.