Gentlemen:

I posted this question on the Gunwriter's forum, but this is a better place. I've followed a number of threads about lug set-back on the 'Fire, AR, and a few others, and there really doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus: some have experienced it, some haven't, and some just heat-treat an action from the get-go in order to avoid it. But what I haven't seen an answer to is this:

If there is set-back, after firing a round is the bolt handle stuck or hard to lift, much like it would be if a load is too hot? Or is it only caught when measuring headspace from a fired round? I hate to be a pest about this, but I have a M1909 that often has a sticky bolt even with loads that I know are loaded to lower pressures and I'm wondering why. After reading some of these threads, I'm beginning to suspect that set-back might be the issue, although also from what I understand about the only way to tell for sure is to pull the barrel and examine the action face.

Thanks

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown