Originally Posted by ihookem
Is a Traditions Hawken just as good? I am just looking into it cause I want to use my own bullets with out sabots and stuff, you know, just a simple bullet and powder, maybe even a round ball.

No they are not as well built or even proof tested. All Pedersolis are proofed before being export or sold. If you are more interested in shooting conicals then Pedersoil offers a 1-24 twist Hawken but it is more expensive too. They are over $700 at Cherry's. If round balls are more interesting look for a nice old Browning Mountain rifle. They pop up from time to time for about the same price as the Hawkens at Cabelas but its a true PRB twist. Early CVA Mountain rifles are also pretty nice. Ive seen them sell NIB for under $500 just recently for a Made in USA stamped model. The Browning used a Green River barrel and were made in Utah for Browning. Its one of the best commercially made examples of a Hawkens.

If you dont care about "period correct" and want to shoot conicals....Take a look this Pedersoli with a fast twist.
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...onal-hawken-hunter-rifle-percussion.html