Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It does matter what the cattle are fed.

Generally speaking....I find there to be a big difference between the fat on a grass fat and grain fat beef.

The grass fat animal normally has a stronger flavor....some people describe it as gamey. I personally can find not a single thing wrong with some of the grass fat animals that I have raised. I like the strong beef flavor.

There is grass fat and then there is grass FAT! The quality, and quantity of the grass makes a huge difference.

The beef you eat in Montana is probably grain fat unless otherwise specified. A great deal of that beef is barley finished.

The fat of these animals all tastes different.

Also, generally speaking....the least amount of time an animal will hang after killing is a week to ten days.

Two weeks is average at a locker plant. Three weeks is better yet.

Very little beef is consumed truly "fresh".

My guess would be that you are eating animals that have been fed/grazed vastly different finishing rations. The freshness of both animals was probably pretty similar.

Thanks, Jim, I learned something new today. I'll have to ask the butcher if he knows more about the feed and finishing (I suspect I'll get an earful).

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.