For a Remington 700? Maybe it's just me but I go with the kiss system. I use a 1 piece Leupold base and traditional Leupold rings.Yes I am a fan of those horried dove tail-windage screw rings and bases. I know it's not cool these days in a world of high tech modern design. But I have been using this system for 40 years on some of my guns. Not all, I have a couple that -have rails and claw style rings. They work too, but I've never experienced any of the perceived problems with the dove tai[-windage screw set up. They all work if you do them right.

One warning. If you go with low rings with a 42mm Objective you may have problems with the objective bell hitting the front of the base mount or even the barrel. In my case it could have been a problem specific to the Leupold rings, I'm not sure. But when I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 on a commercial Mauser using low Leupold rings I had to grind on the rifle bolt and follow up with a file to stop the bolt from rubbing the ocular lens body of the scope. And even with just a 40mm Objective It barely cleared the front of the mount and even the barrel. I think a 42MM would have hit it. If you do decide to go low, be sure to keep your receipts in case you have to return stuff. I went with low rings anyway. because the stock of this particular rifle fits me so much better with the lower scope that I decided to fit things myself. It turned out pretty nice but it was a PIA getting things right.

Last edited by Filaman; 04/24/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!