BobMt,

For many years I mostly wore the typical "veldskoen," made with relatively thin crepe-rubber soles and ankle-height leather uppers, often called "chukka boots" in the U.S. You could buy a pair for $20-$30 in Africa, and the most comfortable I bought were made in Namibia with kudu hide. Bought two pairs there in 1999, and should have bought more, because they were so comfortable (far cooler than either hunting boots or synthetic running shoes, and quieter) that I wore them too damn much during summers here in Montana, or even during early autumn hunting seasons. In most African country they worked fine without socks, but in thicker grass or thornbush they worked better with light gaiters.

Heavy boots are not needed in most African hunting, and even light running shoes can be pretty warm--though that's what most PH's wear because Chinese-made shoes are so cheap over there that they affordable veldskoen. The last pair of veldskoen I bought was in South Africa in 2003, and they were made of cow-hide rather than kudu-hide, so were thicker and warmer. Wore them out here too.

Have seen similar shoes/boots starting to make a comeback in the U.S., and have bought one pair, just in case. There was more than one reason for veldskoen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck