On Merkel rifles doubling:

The rifle in the photos above is mine. I still have it. It does not double. At one time, however, it did. The rifle was at least 5 years old when I bought it, and I probably shot it a year before I had issues. Resolution was a simple matter. I called Steyr, the Merkel importer to the USA, and spoke with Herbert. Herbert is not Miss Congeniality but knows what he is doing. I sent it back, waited a week or two, and voila, no more trouble. I asked what the problem was and was told nothing, but the sears and interrupters were replaced? If nothing was wrong, why replace them? Newer design. I can't find fault with the service I received from Merkel as the buyer of a used rifle many years after the original sale.

Merkel has not sat by and done nothing about this issue for the past ten years, contrary to popular internet armchair experts. What I don't understand is, why is it so difficult for some people that have issues to get resolution? One of the things Herbert quizzed about the double issue is, is it the rifle or the shooter? He will tell you that you are to shoot the front trigger (right barrel) first. That is the way the barrels are regulated.

From my limited experience, most of the doubles with my rifle were shooter error. That is fairly easy to discern by simple observation. With shooter error, the second shot is typically well above the target measured in feet. I've seen some shoot near the top of a 10 foot berm directly behind the target. If the rifle doubles the second shot above the target can be measured in inches. When the rifle doubled on me, the first shot hit near the POA while the second shot hit directly above the first shot 16 inches or so higher.

All this being said, some years ago Jorge and I had a running total of Merkel rifles that had doubled. If I recall, the list was 15 or 18 instances that we had reasonable assurance that doubling was rifle related, not shooter related. No third hand, or someones cousins, uncles, brother in laws, sisters, friend that had the issue. I'm sure Jorge, being the shy, reserved, type, will correct any discrepancies here.

Should one desire to actually own and shoot a Merkel, I suggest the following:
1. Buy one with confidence that it will shoot just fine without doubling, especially a new rifle. If you buy a used one that doubles, call Herbert and he will tell you what you need to do.
2. Should said purchase have any issues, don't jump on the internet and bitch about what a POS you have. Go directly to Herbert at Steyr (Merkel importer to the USA) and get any issue resolved.
3. For those that don't know how to contact companies via the internet, here is the information:
Steyr Arms USA
2530 Morgan Road
Bessemer, AL 35022
P: (205) 417-8644 (you will have to ask for Herbert. He does not answer the phone.)
F: (205) 417-8647
4. If you live outside the USA, you're on your own. You will have to deal with whatever issue you have as best you can. If you are resourceful, you may get resolution.

Attached Images
470 Shooting.jpg (97.48 KB, 120 downloads)

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~