Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I had an opportunity to speak to Helmut/Herbert in Bessemer Alabama today. Quite a heavy accent. My reason was to get an owners manual for my 470E Merkel SxS. I mentioned the "doubling" issue and he said the majority of the problem is operator error. The right barrel/ front trigger must be fired first. The second barrel must be fired in 10-15 seconds because the heat from the right barrel with change the poi for the left barrel if you wait too long. The rifle is regulated to 50 meters with a 300 grain bullet. He also explained the German Proof Mark code. Just reporting what I was told today.

Read the above post, right from Merkel and a perfect reason why not to own one.... "operator error MY ASS. There are virtually ZERO threads/posts here or over on Accurate Reloading, the "Mecca" (no pun indented) of Double Rifle information, on other makes doubling as often as Merkels do and the notion of the first barrel having to be fired first is bullshit, not to mention the 10-15 second "wait" before firing the second barrel. If that were the case, WTF good is a double rifle is you have to wait that long for a second shot on a charging animal? PASS ON THE MERKEL

Last edited by jorgeI; 05/09/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”