I have used 3M Safe Stripper which is water based and not harsh on the wood, brush it on according to instructions and rinse with water. I use a 3M pad for stubborn areas, let dry thoroughly and I go over the stock with a maroon 3M pad and acetone. Brownell's sells a Pilkington pre'64 stain and so does Galazan, I have used both to get the correct pre'64 Winchester color. As for finish if you want to do an oil finish I have used GB Linspeed and Formby's low gloss with about the same result, the key to a good oil finish is to apply it thin and rub until your hand feels hot. The set aside to dry, I have some hooks on my back porch for this purpose the sun and circulating air aid the drying process but it is still not to be rushed. This is where many get themselves in trouble with an oil finish is not allowing it to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat. If you do not want to do an oil finish I have finished stocks with satin finish lacquer in a rattle can, lacquer must also be applied in thin coats and not rushed but it is quicker than an oil finish. When done with either finish I give them about a week after they feel dry to the touch before applying a coat of paste wax using a 0000 steel wool pad and buffing with a micro fiber cloth after the wax has hazed over.