I might add that I have hunted the same ranch property in NW CO (unguided) with mostly the same group of guys for 13 of the past 14 seasons and I can share that bull and cow density and success rates vary from year to year. For one 3 year stretch, we had about 70% success on bulls including a few good 6x6 in an area not known for producing trophies. We also have had years where a few elk were killed and others when none were taken. Certainly the weather patterns varied during those years. Four years ago, I shot a cow early in the week and the 9th and last morning of the hunt, my buddy shot a great 6x6 after the other 6 hunters bagged it early due to not seeing elk Last year 2nd season, 3 cows were taken and zero bulls for 6 hunters. The following season, we killed 4 bulls for 5 hunters / tags and 0 cows for 1 hunter/tag. Unless you really know the area and hunt it often, it is very unpredictable. Go with someone you enjoy elk camp with and not worry to death about odds, etc. Unless you go with an outfitter with a 100% success guarantee, it’s all a crap shoot. I have stopped inviting folks to camp that are a pita on the road trip or in general in the hunt. Good luck, amigo!

Last edited by WAM; 05/16/19. Reason: Typo add

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.