Congratulations - youve bought yourself a good rifle!

I've never used GOEX but 40 grains of anything sounds too light to me. Someone more knowledgeable will have to weigh in.

A couple of thoughts:

- you should be able to get much better accuracy out of that rifle at 50 yards, so get ready to enjoy the process of finding what loads your rifle likes. 👍
- 1:48 is slow for long bullets. Your rifle should shoot ball and ballets very well though, and some of the smaller conicals. Or it may make a liar out of me... ha ha.
- spend the $10 or so to change the nipple from standard percussion caps to musket caps. Theyre easier to handle and provide much better flame/ignition. And if you buy the normal caps (not the winged ones known as "tophats") you can use a cap loader just like you would for #11's.
- I usually run a quick wet then 2 dry patches after every other shot when I'm at the range (shooting pyrodex). Doing so should help you too. Last muzzle loader trip I was shooting my old T/C Thunderhawk - its a blued .50 with a bore that has seen better days. I did not shoot any 3 or 5 shot groups that weren't cloverleaf or damn close at 50 yards. Walmart 230 grain XTPs I think. I was shooting over my shooting box topped with a rolled up towel.
- one thing that I can't stress enough.... be very mindful of HOW you seat your bullets. Be very consistent with your hand pressure at the end of your stroke! Bullet position in the barrel has a direct affect on accuracy. One more reason to swab - that crud changes the bullet seating location no matter how you try to overcome it.
- if you're new to muzzle loading, find one of your buddies who knows his stuff and shoot with them. There are lots of little things you can pick up from them that will be invaluable.

Enjoy your new smokepole. It may not be a true antique but it works just the same way and is just as much fun.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....