Okay, maybe it's not officially summer, but it's felt like it, with temperatures close to 90 most of the week. A friend asked me to go to his parents farm and kill some coyotes. He claimed they were killing some calves, and being so bold that they were scaring people. He said that at night there were packs of at least a dozen howling right by the house.

Now, 2 coyotes can sound like a dozen at night, so I had my doubts that they were really plagued with coyotes, so I'd been putting it off. First, it was turkey season, then farming got me busy, and besides, I just don't care for hunting coyotes this time of the year, and it has nothing to do with the fact that pups are still too small to take care of themselves. I look at the coyote as a pest that needs to go, regardless of the time of year, but I just don't care for hunting them now. It's too warm, and besides, everything is grown out and you usually can't see very far. But, Thursday, the friend called and said that if I couldn't come and hunt them, he'd have to find someone else, as his parents were getting concerned. So, I'd just finished tedding some hay, and had a few hours to go look at the place. I'd never been there, as it's about 30 miles from me. He showed me the farm, and the property lines, and I saw a couple of good places to make a stand.

I get up yesterday morning, make the drive up there so I can get there at first light. Using a FoxPro pup-in-distress sound, and a coyote pair sound, I call in a male at the first stand. I thought he was going to run over me, and finally stopped him at around 50 yards or so., before I shot him. Went to the second place, and hay field with over knee high grass, and climbed up on a round bale that was left from last year, so I could see better. Used the came calling sequence as at the first stand, and called in coyote number 2. When he stopped to look over things, he was about 150 yards away, and all I could se was his ears, and nose through the tall grass. I used that to figure out where his chest was, and killed him.

I was using a Remington Model 7 Predator 22-250, with a 40 grain BT at 4000 FPS. This rifle has become my go to coyote rifle. It will kill a coyote as good as if it'd been run over by a train. I'd always used 223's and 243's for coyotes, but I'm becoming more and more a 22-250 fan.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]