Like others here, I am not big on hunting coyotes in the summer and for much of the same reasons. I am generally a "live and let live" guy but I shoot them if I catch them on the house side of the drainage ditch which is my line of demarcation with predators.

What surprises me is the number of coyotes I've seen out during daylight hours. The past 20+ years I could count on one hand the number of times I saw a coyote from the house during the day; this year I have shot more coyotes than I typically see and the year is still young. I am not sure if it is low prey numbers or an abundance of coyotes but the result is not normal.

I also find it odd that new coyotes are moving into the opened area so fast- sometimes a mere hours after a pair was removed. Past years has shown a break of at least a week with a couple of weeks or more to be then norm. Especially this time of year when territories have been more clearly defined due to pups being born.

I guess I'll continue to keep the rifle handy, I doubt the coyotes are going anywhere on their own. If I see one it will be shot if possible. I wish I could shoot them at night but that is illegal at this time. If it ever becomes legal the coyotes will have a harder time around the home.