I've run a couple similar tests in the past, but didn't bother with Barnes since I figured I knew they would expand nicely, penetrate deeply and not lose any weight. I threw the 130 TTSX in the mix this time because it is so different in terms of velocity and weight from what I normally run in .308. I had also noticed when picking a few up from the dirt at my range that the hollow point seemed larger than other TSX or TTSXs that I've used. I was curious to compare the penetration and to see how big the expanded diameter would be.

I do load some other Barnes including 165 TTSXs in my 300 WSM at a little over 3100 fps. I also have some old leftover 30 cal 150gr MRX bullets that I could load up. I guess I could do a little Barnes vs Barnes test next time.

Just a couple other notes: I've run the 168 Ballistic Tip into the paper at over 3000 fps and it looked essentially the same as this test. Also, just about every un-bonded cup and core bullet I've tested this way has spit the core, but it is usually right by the jacket if I do find it. As long as the bullet doesn't completely flatten, fragment or fail to penetrate I consider it fairly stout - it's a pretty tough test of a bullet.