Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
As much as I like Winchester lever guns, I find the Marlin to be easier to disassemble and clean. They also are usually cheaper and their actions are tight and precise. The one thing I don't like as much is the Micro Groove rifling. Which is why I ended up with one that has Ballard rifling. Cast bullets are cheaper to shoot and depending on who you read, may or may not shoot well out of a Micro Groove barrel, ya got me. Many up here use cast bullets because of the bore size of a 45-70 and it is a proven killer for over 100 years with them.

Microgroove will shoot cast bullets fine provided they are sized a little over what is typical for caliber. Marshall Stanton of Beartooth Bullets is THE last word on the subject.

Bullet fit is probably the biggest culprit when cast bullet accuracy is elusive in Micro-Groove barrels. The bullets MUST be at least .0005" over maximum groove diameter! When slugging the barrels of these guns (as well as the Rossi Lever action M92's), most people get a real surprise. Click here for the average dimensions we have encountered over the years in various Marlin barrels, not only our own, but those of hundreds of our customers, followed by our recommended bullet diameters for each application. Keep in mind that throat dimensions play an integral part in the bullet-fit equation. (This whole subject is covered at length in our Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide in the Bullet Fit chapter).

Beartooth Bullets FAQ - Microgroove Bullet Diameter

shootersforum - Does Size Matter?

Originally Posted by Marshall Stanton
Indeed size DOES matter, in fact when it comes to acheiving superb cast bullet accuracy there are three things that are crucial:

1. Bullet fit.
2. Bullet fit.
3. Bullet fit.

That is why we offer custom sizing options for virtually all our bullets. While there are a few "rules of thumb" there are always unexpected exceptions. This is why slugging the bore/throats of your firearms are heartily encouraged in all our literature.

Here are a few of those "rules of thumb" for sizing options.

Marlin 30A/336's in .30-30:
Older pre-crossbolt safety models .311"
post cross-bolt models .310"

Winchester M94 .30-30's almost universally .310"

Winchester and Marlin .32 Special: .323"

.348 Win. in original 71's and Brownchester 71's: .349"-.350"

Winchester 94's in .357 Mag: .358"
Marlin 1894's, Brownchester 92's, Rossi 92 clones in .357 Mag.: .359"

Winchester 94BB .375 Win and Marlin 375's: .377"

Marlin 1894's in .41 Mag: .411"

.44 Mags in Winchester 94's, Brownchester 92's, Marlin 1894's, Rossi 92 clones, Ruger Deerfield, Ruger lever actions, Remington 788's: .432"

.444 Marlin chambered in Marlin and Winchester variations: .432"

.45-70 in Marlin 1895's (all variations), Original Winchester 86's, Brownchester 86's, NEF/H&R, Brownchester 1885's, Ruger No.1 & No.3's, C.Sharps and Pedersoli made Sharps replicas: .460"

.450 Marlin: .460"

Not only does sizing matter, but it can mean the difference between a tack driver and a modified choke shooter! Too, the issues of leading the bore become virtually non-existant with properly sized bullets. Too, the need for bullets to "bump-up", or obturate under pressure to "fill the bore" is eliminated, along with most issues which cause finicky load development. When bullet sizing is correct, all other aspects of cast bullet load development become very straight forward.

Yep, size DOES matter! I hope this has been of help to you, and others.

God bless,

shootersforum - Big Bore Lever Guns - 45-70 Marlin microgroove & cast bullets

Originally Posted by Marshall Stanton
In reference to using cast bullets in that Marlin, provided you shoot cast bullets at .460" diameter, it will shoot so well as to amaze you! Use hard, gas-checked bullets and attaining accuracy will be like falling off a log, you'll have to do something REALLY wrong for them not to shoot well with any reasonable load, and be entirely free of lead fouling in the bore.

However, if you shoot bullets in smaller diameter, you are likely to become supremely frustrated due to finicky load preferences, mediocre accuracy and persistent barrel leading!

Bearthooth Bullets - 45 Caliber Rifle Bullet Selection

Enjoy your new rifle!
God bless,