Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I am helping a friend get into mid-lr shooting (lets call it out to 600 yards). This is more of him wanting to learn, practice, on steel, and just have a chance to shoot more with the idea that 600/700 yard practice will allow him to be comfortable on those 3-400 yard shots while hunting.

Anyways, he is shooting a 10twist 24" barrel 270 Winchester. I love the cartridge, but have never tried to wring it out much as a LR round. However, with the great selections of new bullets and powder, I have pretty good guess we can help transform this round a bit.

Re26,

145 ELD-X.
150 Nos LRAB
140 Berger Classic Hunter

The 150's pushed at 3k with .591 BC are intriguing, as is a 145 at that speed. I want to work up a load with a "killing bullet" so he can practice all summer and not change anything up going into the fall. Thoughts? Any other bullets to consider?

(Side Note, scope is a 6x ss - so we will be working on dialing/using reticle for wind)

I think you are on to something.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA