Its all different versions of Scottish and Irish dialects...

When I speak West Virginian, most folks around here can't understand a thing I am saying...
When they over hear me singing a country song to myself or off the radio, they seem to be fascinated with it, the way I pronounce words..... I just do it when I don't think anyone is watching me or overhearing me...

Far...fire
Tar.... tire
Tar Arn.... Tire Iron.. Lug Wrench
Lawwg.... Log

Afer....Before
Fairydiddle..... Chipmunk...

Exactly how far is "down the road apiece"?

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
“Yea boy” is used constantly to affirm a statement made by someone else.

In the piedmont it is “side meat”. West of Iredell County it becomes “middlin meat”

Seems like somewhere just west of Hickory it goes from “y’all “ to “youins”. The term “youins” runs all the way from western N.C. to southwest Pa. Right up the Appalachian mountains. Folks from these two regions would be shocked at how much they have in common.

a lot of the people in western NC and S.Western Va migrated down from Pennsylvania back in the 1700s...
particularly Germans....but also Scottish and English.... Daniel Boone is an example...born in PA, migrated to North Carolina and then up thru the Cumberland Gap into what is now Kentucky....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez