I've lots from my PA Dutch grandparents on my Mom's side but some of my fondest to remember is from my Step-Dad, gone now since 1986.

His name was "Carlie".......born in KY his Ma told the clerk his name was "Carl Lee".......but she she said it all together so..... LOL.

I called him "Pa" out of nothing but true respect. He was truly "more honest than the sunrise". (his saying)

Looking at something smaller than normal, like a yard or room he'd say " Hain't enough room in that to whup a good sized cat."

His favorite dessert to his dying day was "Sweetnin' Bread". A glass of milk with bread tore up in pieces and soaked in it with sugar.
Not at all like Sweet Bread..........that I like that most these days have NO clue what the H it is. Finding some is "a trial". lol

Many more will come to me today but one always had me laughing.

When Mom was nagging ("raggin") at him he would sing.....

"You can tell from the smell
She don't feel so well
Bought three days this time of the month"

and.....I cannot recall the rest......crud.

A man of honor and the hardest working man Ive ever met. Dad was too but Pa took it over the edge.
He was a factory supervisor at night, ran his own restaurant during the day and cleaned carpets and tile floor weekends.

His first wife passed away from cancer leaving him and their two children hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Too proud to file bankruptcy he " worked his tail off" and paid every cent due.
He wouldn't marry my Mom till it was paid off not wanting to "bring a debt into her family".

I miss my Mom and Dad dearly.............and Pa is right up there with them.
He gave all he could and asked for nothing in return when it was family or friends.

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 06/05/19.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."