Originally Posted by ring3
Lots of oil and gas workers here from all over the country. Often get blank stares in conversation with them.

Interesting ones are the people from Louisiana. Great fun listening to an old boy and a cajen try to make sense of what each other’s saying.

Nicknames around here are unique. Some so ingrained that only close friends or former classmates know a persons real name. Ex; Panger, T-Bone, Fats, Bench, Coony, Whip, Iggy (Ig for short), T, Sister, Sonny P, Weed, German, Murph, MudDuck, Buttons, Rafe, .....endless list. Don’t know about other areas but here nicknames are very common.

My mom had 4 sisters.....

When I am down home in Monroe Co WVa, people will ask me where I'm from... and I'll tell them that I live in Oregon... but my family was from down here and I was born down here....

First words out of their mouth is always " So if you were from down here, who's ya MaMa?"

I'll say here name is Louise Meadows....and I'll get She was one of Johnny Meadows's girls?
Which one? Trigger? Tooter, Bunny, Muffet....

They don't know my mother as Louise....I'll tell them she was Trigger... and they know exactly who I am talking about....My granddad nicknamed them all before they were three years old....

I'm one to talk tho.... each one of my kids had a nickname from me before they were two....it changed with time tho.. My son's nickname changed to Beavis when he was about 14....

My brother is 60 now.. but when I see relatives, they ask me how's BooBoo doing?
he got that nickname as a baby because one of his first sentences was from Yogi Bear, when he would repeat after BooBoo " Hey Yogi..."

He's lived with that around family for 59 years now...

My granddad's name was William Henry Meadows.. but every one called him Johnnie...
and every one called my grandmother "Happy".. when her real name was Corabelle Daisy Lilly....
not to be confused with her sister Blondie...or her brother Brownie...

just typical WVa....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez