Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
[Linked Image]

Details man!!!!

Nice tiger striping in the wood, I bet it changes in different angles.

Sorry, just saw your inquiry, 50.

This rifle walked into shop one day with older gent. It was wearing a really schitty Bell & Carlson syn stock and a 3x9 Redfield Tracker. He wanted it cleaned up as he was thinking of selling it. So we took it in for a C & C. Said his dad brought it back from Europe at war’s end and it was in some 6.5 ctg they could not find ammo for. So , "his dad sent it to Winchester” and they fitted it with a model 70 bbl in 30/06!
Well I told him I was a bit skeptical that Winchester did the work, but whoever put the bbl on did very good work.
( bbl dated 1957).

Ok he sold shop rifle (eventually). And he came back up to thank us for helping him. In passing I say, "too bad you dont have all the old stock and stuff they took off the rifle." He say, oh, I still have everything except the old barrel. I say "really???”

I end up buying rifle. He brings in all the old stuff. Stock, claw mount bases, original Mauser buttplate. Etc. I restore it to best original condition I can. Best I can tell is it was an Oberndorf B sporter with a butterknife bolt. I speculate the 6.5 ctg (if it really was a 6.5 to begin with) was possibly the 6.5 x 58(?) Mauser ctg.

I stuck the Lyman 48 on one slow day at the shop. This is the best uneducated guess I can come up with on the speculative history of this rifle. It was a factory rifle no doubt. Would love ve to hear other speculation.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS