I have six SP101's, 3 of the 2.25" DAO, and 3 of the 3". I am converting one of the 3" revolvers into DAO as well and the other two may follow. I have had them for about six years now. They replaced several S&W 625's which were just two large for me.

I keep pondering on the 5 shot capacity.

There is a general case to be made for the revolver over the semi-auto. Grant Cunningham makes the case as well as any. Here are the advantages for me:

With the Crimson Trace LG-303 grips, the SP101 fits my hand perfectly. The grip fits right in the web of my hand and the front joint of my trigger finger fits the trigger with a little to spare so that I don't pull to the side as I have with larger revolvers. The double action pull is smooth and keeps getting smoother. It is easy for me to shoot.

The mass of the revolver makes shooting the Speer Gold Dot 38 Special +P load very manageable and the 2.25" barrel boosts them to over 900 fps. The SP101 is noticeably more manageable with these than the Ruger LCR.

The Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 grain +P ammunition is not nearly as comfortable to shoot with the 2.25" barrel. I am hoping the they will be more comfortable in the 3" barrel. If not, the 3" barrel will take the standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWC to over 900 fps. The Hornady Critical Defense .357 load also works well in the 3" barrel.

I am also looking at replacing the front sight with a fiber optic front sight. This might work better than the front sight with my eyeglasses in the daylight.

It is a pleasure to discuss the SP101