Originally Posted by Lonerider
Originally Posted by DAMARA
Personally, I might be wrong, I feel that modern bullet technology has made the 9mm more useful/reliable regarding penetration and expansion, through denim or bare gellatin, than it used to be.

I like federal HST's and everything I've watched and read has led me to believe they would work quite well.

I'm not one to quote caliber lethality statistics though.

Modern bullet technology didnt stop with 9mm bullets. All calibers gained from that improved technology.

I don't believe I said it did?
It has certainly improved the 380 and other historically known "marginal" calibers...and yes it improved the 45 also. Bullets like the .308 130 TTSX sent at 3000fps+ are killing things that 25 years ago someone would've loaded a 165 or 180 to kill.

I found this informative:
https://loadoutroom.com/51037/the-reasons-why-fbi-went-to-back-to-9mm/

Due to the elastic nature of most human tissue and the low velocity of handgun projectiles relative to rifle projectiles, it has long been established by medical professionals, experienced in evaluating gunshot wounds, that the damage along a wound path visible at autopsy or during surgery cannot be distinguished between the common handgun calibers used in law enforcement. That is to say an operating room surgeon or Medical Examiner cannot distinguish the difference between wounds caused by .35 to .45 caliber projectiles.

Not interested in turning this into a caliber lethality thread though.