Wow, this went off the rails sounding like little kids quibbling over who got a new toy and who didn’t.

First, EHG is very squared away and is good to go as is Gene Ingram. Y’all are needlessly getting all wrapped around the axle. Actually, EHG is more than good to go, he is a good man, good as they come. He’s shot more elk in a year than most will in a lifetime, as well as shooting more than elk, which is clear to those that understand. ‘nuff said.

Just a guess that there is a hint to the i.d. of the steel in the very first post for those that would give it a think.

I have come to the point that design is the most important factor both blade geometry and profile as well as comfort in hand, followed by heat treat, followed by steel type.

There was a good thread on bladeforums recently in which someone actually tested a bunch of high end steels in knives from Spyderco, Lion, Benchmade, and others. Despite all the marketing hype, turned out virtually none of the supersteels being sold were
close to optimal heat treat and some high dollar blades just completely were ripping people off.

Arguing over steel only is like arguing about cartridges while ignoring barrels, bullets, brass, scope, and shot placement.

I have way too many knives in some nice steels, S110V, 10V, 3V, M390, and more from top notch makers.

Which knife actually is used the most for cleaning and skinning deer and pigs? An Ingram Bullnose in D2 and a Wilson followed by a big Busse in Infi to lop off ribs and heads. There have been more than a few times of cleaning 5 - 8 or more in a row and went over 30 one weekend.

Differences in knives become very apparent, especially skinning the pigs typically caked in mud.

Gene Ingram and Phil Wilson make excellent quality knives and are my two favorites for hunting knives. There are other good makers. There also are some big names turning out knives that are not very useful at all due to poor designs and make me wonder if they actually ever use their own work in the field.