I started this thread seven years ago when I bought two. 223's to use hunting...I also bought a couple boxes of Noslers for the task...there are other bullets that would work fine,but I prefer Noslers for what they do...

If my hunting was like alot here,I would choose one of my other calibers,but it's not...I'm in the hills all summer long not far from my house and see where the game is and what terrain there hanging in..I really don't care if I ever shoot another elk..

Knowing the limitations of the 223 over say a 30-06 or one of my larger more appropriate rounds,I know I can't take some shots that I have before with bigger rounds...like I said,I don't really care if I get another one but I'm game to go with my boy and help him get another one plus he has lots of help for packing them out..

I've seen elk shot with smaller calibers than the 223 and know that it will work just fine if the shooter does his part with the knowledge of what it takes...Hell,they shoot the big bears with the 223 so it's fine for elk...