Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by comerade
We seem to have this obsession to get an exacting seating depth, jump to the lands etc for perfection.
.001 off the lands or .050 can make be all I need and it must be precise. ( or devastating)
Oh yes, and the powder charge measured on a high quality digital scale.
Could these accuracy issues simply be a case of the case being out of alignment. Runnout?
I fussed like seating depths myself late into the night, using micrometer seating dies. I thought rocket science was like that until I stumbled onto the GS Custom site and its owner. They make CNC , land riding bullets that are seated to the drive band and load development was quick and easy.
Maybe this super uniform bullets should be started in a super uniform case?
Most handloader's speed case prep, it can be a blurr and slow down to seat the bullet perfectly.
I use a case gauge these days during the process now during case prep.
Any thought about bullet runnout as the primary culprit?

Unless you are a benchrest shooter.....not just a hunter.....I consider most of this to be analysis paralaysis. One would be better served by spending more time at a good shooting range getting acclimated to his rifle.

Good advice. I learned reloading and shooting with a 38 Special and a 32 Winchester Special. Seating depth was not much of an option, just seat to the crimping groove and crimp. It wasn't until decades later I heard how much I was giving up not tailoring my bullet seating depth.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.