Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have several rifles with 24" barrels, and I'm thinking I really need to have one of them trimmed to be ideal when hunting from small tight whitetail blinds.

Have any of you regretted getting the barrel too short, for whatever reason? What length does the campfire feel is ideal length for a .308 Win. deer blind gun?
Thanks,
.....................................I have a 16.5" barreled 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. With a rifle 35.5" in OAL, I find it to be extremely handy and quite a joy to carry around. Not too many rifles can you carry around by the pistol grip with the barrel pointed down towards the ground and still have a good amount of distance between the barrel end and the ground. That is the main advantage of the shortys......

Most would cringe at such a short barrel length for a 300 WSM. However, I welcome it! Ballistically, a 26" barreled 30-06. A compact, but a long range rifle if needed too..... BUT!..Very LOUD with stout recoil which I can easily handle....

So keep in mind the added noisy report even from a 308..

The ideal 308 barrel length for you would depend on your carrying and hunting conditions (in blinds, in brush etc) as well as your desire as to what a shorty rifle should be. The shorter the OAL, the easier the carrying around and handling will be.....................

Yeah, a 16" barrel 300 WSM isn't equaling a 26" 30-06 ballistically. Sorry.