Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit. I've replaced the battery in my wife's car twice in the last 5-6 years. It won't even spin over when the battery 'dies'. Get some horsechit message on the screen....

Curious. Does you wife make a lot of short trips? If so, the alternator may not be running long enough to restore charge. Other thought is if it sits a lot in between drives, the same thing can happen. Charge due to leakage drops low, then the drive isn't enough to fully recharge.

Gringo, you nailed it. The vehicle sits for days at a time and then is usually only driven a few minutes to the grocery store.

I should either take it out and drive it once in awhile for an extended time and or leave it on a slow charge over night.

Originally Posted by BC30cal

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope that the summer has been a good one for you folks - enough rain that the crops are growing and enough sun to make hay.

Our 40th Anniversary Mustang which is an '04 is on it's 3rd battery in the 4 years we've owned it. Being only run 6 months a year combined with the anti theft system is just plain hard on batteries. I'll note I've been experimenting with solar trickle chargers and now that I'm running 2 of them it's a wee bit better, but not entirely cured with solar.

Edit to add - the Mustang also had a parasitic drain issue which killed one battery. It was a faulty alternator - but took a mechanic who knew what he was doing, as in not me - to find the problem!

Good afternoon Dwayne, we were baling this morning and with all the rain lately things look really good. Green going into August is almost unheard of in this country!

Speaking of alternators I've had to replace the one on my 6.0 Ford diesel twice. They make it about 3 years and die.

The last one I just replaced a couple weeks ago and it was covered under warranty.

I pump a fair amount of diesel off the batteries(electric 25 gpm pump) and wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the short life span?