About 30 years ago when I was on a major 6.5x55 kick I threw together a half-assed sporter using a M38 Swedish Short Rifle as a donor. (Mind you such beasts were $100 or less back then.) I found an old Bishop semi-inlet stock and whittled about a pound of superfluous wood off it, stuck an orphan aftermarket 22" barrel on it (gunshow find, maker unknown), and mounted a Lyman cocking piece sight. Safety and cock-on-closing, and original turned down bolt handle all was left alone. The thing shot like crazy, but that wasn't enough to prevent me from swapping it off on some long forgotten treasure a few years later. I don't miss the gun terribly but I would give my left nut to have that cocking piece sight back.

I remember it loved the same load that was sweet in my then current Winchester XTR Featherweight 6.5x55- 46 or 47 grains (c'mon, it was 30 years ago) IMR 4831 (not H-4831, there was a distinct difference in performance) and the 129 Hornady, Norma brass (which was about all that was available back then). 140 Partitions were a close second.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/23/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty