My favorite loads have varied over the years. Many years ago it used to be Elmer Keith's favorite, which was a 400 gr pill and 53 gr of IMR 3031. What I've never seen quoted is the overall length Elmer used as he mostly favored a Win 1886 and that rifle can accept a longer LOA.

I found when loaded to 2.55" for use in a Marlin, a 400 gr Speer would deform somewhat as that charge really filled the case. When I switched to an RCBS cast bullet (checked and lubed it was more like 420gr.) I had to drop the charge to 47 gr as it was longer than the Speer. The cast bullet combo was stout enough for our water buffalo in the NT. Before hunting buffalo the Speer pills I had rarely recovered and had always performed well, however on buffalo they expanded to the size of coat buttons, barely penetrating the skin. Both loads had fantastic accuracy.

IMR powders haven't been available here for many years now but a general purpose load that has become a firm favorite is a 415gr HP cast bullet and 45 gr of Reloader 7. That load produces around 30K pressures and in a light rifle is a good compromise between velocity and recoil. From my 22" barreled Marlin, the velocity is around 1850fps and accuracy is superb.