Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by vapodog
with the exception of a few nostalgia seekers, the days of the lever action is behind us. Once folks learned that making the first shot count is far better than having up to seven quick follow up shots, the bolt action became king of the deer hunting woods......and I suspect will continue to be just that.
onger
My Browning M-65 in .218 bee is my nostalgia gun.....other than that, I can find no practical reason to own a lever gun....even though the old Winchester M-88 has peaked my interest, it's not getting good reviews on another forum.

I grew up with a Marlin M-39-A and a Savage M-99......I later owned a M-94 in .30-30 and a M-92 in .25-20. Then I discovered the M-70 and have never looked back

That's in another class. A model 94 or a model 336 and a model 92 are all in a different class of firearms than a Model 70. A model 70 is a bolt gun that comes in higher pressure cartridges such as .243,.30-06 and magnum caliber cartridges. They are used for different purposes in different situations. I have both bolt actions and saddle guns. I use saddle gun for short range brush shooting. or in a blind. I use my .270, .30-06, ,243, 7 Mag, and .300 Mag. for longer range such as shooting down a sendero and for bigger game. In my honest opinion you cannot compare a .30-30 with an 06, .270, .243 or a magnum. They are in separate classes.

Filaman is "right on".
I hunt two different kinds of geography when I'm hunting in Eastern Washington.
- One large area is pine both small and large, with many areas to stalk, but the average shot is between 50 and 90 yards. The answer here is my model 94 30-30 with a Williams peep sight.
- One other area is large hillsides and draws, with little timber and the shots are between 100 and 300 yards. The answer here is my scoped 30-06.

Each gun has a distinct reason-for-being, and I want to take advantage of it.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers