I'm jealous Rex, I get a cow elk tag about every 4 or 5 years it seems.🙄 I've about given up on bull tags. I'll probably start applying for bulls again when my sons start elk hunting - they just turned 11 so it won't be long before they can fill the freezer!

I shot that sheep SE of Alpine a few years back. I must have used up all of my luck in the drawing with that tag, I can't hardly get a deer tag these days!

I have wanted a 35 Whelen for a lot of years so that's probably my first choice. I'm sure they'll all get the job done. I used to reload but just haven't had the time for the last few years, so I end up buying factory ammo. Luckily there are a lot of good choices these days, including heavy loads from Buffalo Bore if I feel the need (not likely). I love big bores and am also keeping an eye out for a 405 Win or even a 450/400 #1 if I run across something reasonable. I have a particular spot that I'm waiting to get an elk tag for where I plan to use a 460 S&W X-frame...every time I've been there I have had multiple elk at less than 50 yards. I have pics of cows within 20 feet! No doubt it will be an entirely different story if I actually have a tag in my pocket...haha.

Thanks for all of your help guys!