Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Buy a chronograph, a prochrono digital is around $100. It'll tell you right off the bat if you're too heavy on the charge weight. I won't fire the first round through a new barrel without the chronograph out, it's a waste of components in my opinion.

I'll know if I'm heavy on the charge at what velocity?

My references list max V anywhere from 2976 fps to 3047....

shopping for chrono, next on the list, Like tonight.

Pressure is directly related to velocity. If you chronograph your loads and you're seeing 3200 fps then it's likely pressure causing your hard extraction and you need to back off some. If you're seeing 2900 fps then you're not likely over pressure so it's something else causing it. 3047-2976 is only 71 fps, that's pretty much a rounding error or could be explained by one being a 24" barrel vs 26" on another. Reloading manuals are starting points but you need to let your rifle tell you what it likes. Manuals don't always agree with each other either, I've seen as much as 7 grs. difference listed for a max load between manuals, using a chronograph I found the max for my rifle was about halfway in between the two manuals.

Re-reading your post I saw you said factory loads ejected fine but handloads didn't. The first thing I'd do is chuck the brass from your old barrel and start with new brass, factory chambers are usually big and it's likely your old brass has expanded at the web where standard full length dies won't resize. Get the chronograph too, but start with some new brass instead of the stuff shot in another chamber.

Also .005" off the lands is fine if you've worked up to it but that close will give more pressure than something that's SAAMI length. Another reason to have the chronograph so you can see what changing your COAL does to your velocities.