Originally Posted by Kenneth
New Bartlein barrel, .300 wsm on a Winchester M70 action. Previously on the original factory barrel the rifle really 65/65.5 grains of H4350, no pressure signs anywhere that I was aware of,

Today, first shots through the brand new barrel were factory Nosler 180k grain accubonds, other than not even being on paper, no issues's, 6 shots total.

Went to handloads, brass fired 4 times in original factory barrel, I knew enough to start low and went 64 grains, same jug of H4350,

"sticky bolt lift" if that's we call it, no so much on the intial vertical lift of the bolt but more of just as you start to pull back horizontally to eject spent shell,

shot 3 more, all same issue.

I can chamber a full cartridge, and then eject the same unfired cartridge with no issue.

64 grains should be well with in book specs,

So lets start over, where?

Speer manual shows 61g to 65,

Hodgens shows 58 g to 62 for the GMX and 61 to 65.5 for the Nosler Partition.

So, looking at these numbers, I may have started a a little too high at 64g? I'm shooting 165 grain Sierra GameKings.

And, start with new brass in a new chamber?

You may find the custom barrel to be a bit tighter than the factory barrel and you just might be getting a higher velocity than what you where getting from your old factory barrel.Since you didn't have issues with factory ammo,your load is probably too hot for your new barrel.Another thing I'd do is seat your bullet deeper..0005 off the lands is close enough to give you a pressure spike.That close probably isn't necessary with a good barrel.I usually start at .030 off and find that to be a very good starting place for most of my rifles.I've watched my velocities go way up as I've seated closer to the lands,especially if your At max load already.My 300WSM has no freebore to speak of.I usually cannot shoot max book loads.I'm getting good velocities with a bit less powder than what the book calls for.I can use max book loads for 180gr bullets and find it to be about the max load with 165gr bullets in my rifle.Shows you,every rifle is different and you should always work your way up to the max for your rifle.Getting the chronograph should help you a lot.At least you will know where your at with your loads.

Last edited by baldhunter; 08/21/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............