For many years I've used a .257 Roberts with much success and no fuss. It's light recoil and end game performance are just about perfect. I have quite a few choices that seem to all be just fine, but lately I've been impressed with the performance of these newer bullets in smaller cases. A .22-250 with Nosler 64gr BSB has been pretty impressive, I have no idea what I'll use to punch my deer tag this year, but if I don't use an arrow, it may be a Black Hills 77gr OTM out of an AR15, the previously mentioned .22-250, .257 Roberts. If I'm out after elk I use bigger cartridges and if I see a deer I want I use what I've got with me. Sometimes it's based on mood, nostalgia, or weather. Last year I only had a few days to get out and they weren't together. Weather was crappy off and on, I used an AR10 in .308W because I didn't have to be concerned about it, and hadn't blooded it yet. I hate getting a blued & wood gun soaked. My other crappy weather gun is a .25-06 in a plastic stock.

The point to this is nearly anything would work on deer size game at less than 200 yards. What appeals to you?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson