Originally Posted by gunnut308
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
250 Savage

Yes! No recoil, flat, fast, a dandy from way back.

I have a .250 I had rebarreled on a Howa 1500 that was chambered in .22-250. I put a Krieger SS barrel on it chambered for of course the .250 Savage. It has a bit of a long throat, by design from my gun smith and the barrel's a bit long at 26" but it gives some fantastic MV with 115 grain Combined Technologies. I won't say what velocity or powder charge. I will say I use RL-17, a fantastic propellant for such a small case. I gave that info out on another forum and got lambasted and told I was making pipe bombs. But I worked that load up over months of testing and I'm here to tell you it's safe. I did go a bit far at first and thought everything was rosie until I tried repriming the brass. The pockets were loose and that was once fired brass, the once firing being done by me, in other words my first loading they were new. So I backed off a couple of grains and worked back up to one grain shy of where I had been. No loose primers and was more accurate than before. I held it there and am quite satisfied. No stretched cases either or rather not excessively. It's all normal.

And yes, it is quite a dandy. It's a real pleasure to shoot.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/22/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!