Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Interesting. That sure looks like a copy of the old Trijicon RX01 or a similar model; did the patent run out maybe?

I don't know. Been killing time reading about some of the offerings and found it interesting. I have always had regular scopes and want to try something opposite this thread.... Either battery free or crazy 50000 hour stuff. I have a 10.5" 5.56 flat top coming.

Just my opinion, but I think red dot sights have come a long ways since the RX01 that it looks like Meprolight copied. I have used those, and certainly wouldn't buy one with my own money in today's market.

If you're wanting to try a decent red dot that's not real expensive but has good battery life, take a good look at the Holosun and Primary Arms micro red dot sights. I'm using the Primary Arms MD-ADS which has a 2 moa dot and advertises 50,000 hour battery life. It sits on my bedside gun (a short 300 Blk AR) and leave it turned on all the time, and change the battery once per year. That particular model is the same physical size as the Aimpoint T1/T2 sights and fits T1/T2 mounts, but retails for about $170. Some of the Holosun models are pretty much the same thing; if I was buying another I'd consider either the MD-ADS again, or one of the circle/dot reticles in one of the Holosun models that uses a solar cell to prolong battery life.

MD-ADS is on sale right now for $130: https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life-red-dot

This circle/dot Holosun is out of stock, but is one I'd buy: https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-hs503cu-circle-dot-hs503cu

Personally for anything beyond room clearing distance I prefer a magnified optic with a large eye box (hence the Mark AR on my Grendel above), but for what they are, that MD-ADS red dot has really impressed me.
Just a side note on magnified optics - for close distances and keeping both eyes open, I much prefer a 3x instead of 1x at the low end. Double vision with a 1x can result in target confusion (for me anyway), but with 3x it's obvious which eye is which and is just as fast or faster for me. That goes against the current trend, but is what I've found works best for me after a lot of trial and error, and professional training.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/22/19.