Guidegun, your right...with other peep setups, it'll be a couple inches closer to the eye..where the Skinner express for the 7600s is mid receiver..itd be around 7" forward of my eye which I think is too fast.

5thshock, I am pretty persistent and not settling. This won't be your everyday hunting rifle. It serves a very specific purpose and I will get what I want....it's all available...I am just weighing options to figure out the most economical way to get there. Straight comb, ghost ring, short barreled...308/3006 and possibly rechambered to 338fed, 358W, 338/06 or 35whelen...only reason would be to get a little more umph out of the cut down barrel...larger bores typically don't suffer from velocity loss as harshly.

Big woods deer tracking/still hunting rifle for nasty weather when scopes aren't feasible. Fast handling little rifle. Like I mentioned, my Montana in 308 with a 2.5-8x36 is the designated hitter on most days.

THE exact rifle is made...7600P or "police". 16.5" 308, straight comb and ghost ring setup. Just hard to find at the moment. I found one..but it'll run me around $800 and I've seen them sell NIB for $500ish. Hence why I'm exploring other ways to get to a similar end result.

Beretzs, I will look into that. I think a rail will still put the sight forward of my eye a bit too far.